Goals need brainstorming, structure, planning, written out, be visible, and then action can take place. The main goal about setting goals is taking control of your own fate. These outcomes aren’t just going to be handed to you. You won’t get better at that technique if you never practice. You will never get stronger if you never do that extra work. You will never get faster if you put off conditioning. Your diet won’t get better if you only know what to get. Your mindset will never improve if you don’t do the prep work beforehand.
These goals should be focusing on what you want to achieve in basketball, school, & in life. Can’t think of anything you want to improve on? Dig deep. What is something you always wanted to do? Think you have achieved every goal you wanted to already? Work on those old goals again. There is no harm in improving even more than you did in the past.
Whatever the goals might be, there has to be an action plan that needs to be acted on regularly. Here are some examples of daily or weekly steps that will help you get to your goals.
- Sport Goal: Improve up & under move
- Watch daily Youtube videos of professionals making this move
- 3 times a week, stay after practice and perform the move
- Fridays, 1-on-1 play against a teammate
- School Goal: Get into a high level math
- Go to tutoring when they are offered
- Join mathletes
- See teacher after school once a week
- Life Goal: Learn the play the Guitar
- Practice for 30 minutes a day
- Read music on my down time once a week
- Take lessons weekly by a teacher