All over the country football players are preparing for camp to begin in the next month. There’s no question that serious players have been in the weight room all winter, spring and summer and have been attending camps and all optional team workouts. These are givens if you want to be competitive this season. The best players are the ones with an edge, something to set them apart from the good players and send them to the top. What better edge to prepare you for camp than the right mindset?
There are many things you can begin doing right now (if you haven’t started already) to mentally prepare yourself for the grind of camp and the upcoming football season.
- Determine your goal for the season. Write it down daily to constantly remind yourself of it, say it out loud to yourself daily, like you’ve already accomplished it (I am an all-state wide receiver!)
- Determine your purpose for playing football and make it a strong one. In my opinion, the two strongest purposes for playing football are to glorify God and/or to be the best version of yourself you possibly can through the sport.
- Make an action plan for the work you will put in and the lifestyle you will live in order to reach your goals and live out your purpose.
- Figure out your top priorities. You should love football and have fun competing but if that’s the be-all end-all of your life, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment when it’s all over. God, family, school, etc. Figure out the most important things and keep football in the right order on that list. Live according to it.
- Camp will be uncomfortable. The heat, the conditioning, the long days, you already know this, so prepare for it by doing something to leave your comfort zone and build mental toughness everyday leading up to camp.
Do these five things and you’ll be putting yourself on the path to a successful camp and season overall. If you need help with any of these or want to take your mental game to the next level, reach out to Football Mindset to schedule a free 1-on-1 mindset training session.