2. Associating with negative people and small-time thinkers. These people will only slow you down. Keep your distance from them, especially during the season.
3. Making any particular game or tournament “special.” Every game and practice is important, but nothing is ever special. Special adds pressure. Treat everything the same. Consistency!
4. Believing ANY team you face is unbeatable. David and Goliath, Marlins over Yankees in the World Series, The Movie “Friday Night Lights”, etc.
5. Focusing on the past or future instead of the present moment. Only focus on the present and how you can do your best at this moment.
6. Under any circumstances using the word CAN’T. Don’t ever say that word!
7. Dwelling on a setback, failure, or loss. Learn the lesson, then move on, period. Just let it go and do it better next time.
8. Focusing exclusively on winning or championships. Compete with yourself each day.
9. Competing not to lose. A coward dies 1,000 deaths before he dies. Always play to win. If you’re already winning: play to dominate.
10. Using extreme self-talk, that puts extra pressure on you: MUST, SHOULD, or NEED TO. Use “I want” and “I choose to” instead.